Vegan and gluten free black bean burgers with rice for a solid, easy to handle veggie burger. Topped with a rainbow of winter vegetables including pickled onions and shredded root vegetables.
Form large balls, about 1/3 cup each, and flatten them into large patties about 2 cm thick and 10 cm wide. Place them onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 30-35* minutes, or until the outside is golden and slightly crispy. Serve immediately with buns and plenty of toppings.
• If, for some reason, your burger mixture is too soft, add a tablespoon or two of chickpea or spelt flour to thicken it.
• Of course you can shape the patties to be the same width as your buns, just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
• I make these all the time without buns, too, and just make them a little smaller and more rounded, like falafel. They make great bean balls for pasta, too.
• To make pickled onions, slice a red onion very finely and place it into a jar with a pinch of salt and the juice of a lemon. Shake to distribute the lemon juice and leave the jar to sit for at least two hours, or until the onions are pink throughout, shaking occasionally.
• Here's the sweet potato lentil hummus recipe, and this is the cabbage salad.
* Keep an eye on the burgers close to the end of the baking time - if you cook them for too long they'll become dry.