Chocolate Truffles with Ginger, Orange, and Pomegranate
Vegan chocolate truffles with bright winter flavours of ginger, orange and pomegranate. These are so easy and you can't beat the taste, even though they're made with coconut cream instead of dairy.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Setting Time 4 hours
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 20 small truffles
- 250 ml / 1 cup coconut cream from the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk
- 100 grams dark chocolate finely chopped
- Zest of an organic orange
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder
- Tiny pinch sea salt
- Pomegranate arils about 1/4 cup
- Cocoa powder for coating
Place the chocolate into a heat safe bowl. Pour the coconut cream into a small saucepan and heat over medium, until simmering. Pour the heated cream onto the chocolate and let it sit, without stirring, for 30 seconds.
Add the orange zest, ginger, vanilla, and salt to the bowl. Whisk until the chocolate and cream are smooth and fully incorporated. Cover and refrigerate overnight to set, or a minimum of four hours.
Once the truffle mixture has set, use a spoon to scoop out about a teaspoon for each truffle. Place a couple of pomegranate arils in the centre and squeeze with your hands to close the truffle, then roll into an approximate sphere shape. Continue until all of the mixture has been used, placing onto a board or sheet lined with parchment paper.
Freeze the truffles for 10 minutes, then remove and roll gently between your hands to clean up the edges and make them more ball-like. Roll each in cocoa powder until coated, then place into a sealed container or jar and refrigerate until needed. To serve, bring them out of the fridge about 15 minutes beforehand to soften slightly.
• You can also dip the truffles into dark chocolate instead of rolling them in cocoa. Just melt chocolate over a double boiler with a half teaspoon of coconut oil, then use a fork to dip the truffles. Do this if they need to be able to sit out of the fridge for a while.
• To make extra cute baby truffles, do about a half teaspoon per truffle and one pomegranate aril in each one.