With just a few days left in our summer holiday back home in Canada, I’m trying to make the most out of my mom’s overflowing garden before we have to buy produce at the market again. Cue this vegan roasted summer vegetable pasta, a late summer staple, and a recipe that I make every August when these types of veggies are at their peak. With tomatoes, zucchini, onion, peppers, and mushrooms (why not), it’s really a celebration of the end of the season. Depending on your climate you can probably make this well into September.
This is a great weeknight meal or weekend lunch – you roast the veggies in the time it takes for the water to boil and pasta to cook, and everything’s on the table in about 20 minutes. The vegetables can be switched up depending on what you like. Maybe you love eggplant, or shallots, or want to add a little corn or spinach after roasting.
They’re cooked with olive oil and balsamic vinegar to make a light sauce in the baking sheet and you can serve it just like that, or top it off with a little vegan pesto like I did here. This is similar to the roasted vegetable base I used for the soup I shared last week, because I make this all the time to have over quinoa or pasta and thought it’d make a great soup, hah.
While I do often make this with wheat-based pasta like kamut or spelt, there’s a need to add some kind of legume, like chickpeas, to make a proper filling meal. In this case I’m using red lentil pasta from a Canadian brand I like, and it’s nice to have the pasta as the protein-rich base of the meal and not have to worry about adding anything else. I also love the taste of this particular pasta – it’s much better than most other legume pastas I’ve tried.
We’re off to Graham’s best friend’s wedding for the weekend and then back home for a couple days before we fly to Holland next week. We still haven’t found an apartment so wish us luck! I’m not sure if I’ll get another post up before we leave as I want to make sure I’m spending time with family and friends, but if not, you’ll see something new next week. Now go make some roasted summer vegetable pasta!
Let’s connect! If you liked this recipe, make sure to leave a comment below, I love hearing from you! Tag me on instagram @occasionallyeggs and #occasionallyeggs so I can see what you’re making, and stay in touch via facebook, pinterest, and bloglovin.
- 1 small / 175 grams zucchini
- 1/2 / 90 grams onion
- 1 / 200 grams bell pepper
- 100 grams / 1 cup button mushrooms
- 250 grams / 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper flakes
- 1 package / 227 grams red lentil or other pasta
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F.
- Cut the zucchini, onion, pepper, and mushrooms into 2-3 cm pieces. Add to a large baking sheet with the tomatoes, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes, and mix to coat the vegetables.
- Place the vegetables into the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until the tomatoes are bursting and the vegetables are starting to colour.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cook the pasta according to package instructions. To serve, drizzle a little more olive oil over the noodles, then top with the roasted vegetables and some pesto if desired. Serve hot.