This orange coconut smoothie has become an easy favourite since oranges came into season. It’s a blend of orange, coconut milk, hemp hearts, cinnamon, and a couple other good things. It tastes a little like a less sweet creamsicle and it’s a welcome break from my usual winter smoothie, plain old banana and peanut butter.
I chose coconut milk (not just the cream) but a good homemade nut milk would be good too, just avoid the more watery store bought plant milks here. You could certainly add greens to this recipe if your blender can handle it.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Orange: this can be any sweet orange, or even two mandarins or clementines. A blood orange can also be used.
- Coconut milk: preferably from a carton, not canned coconut milk. Otherwise substitute with half coconut yogurt and half dairy-free milk of another type, like oat milk.
- Hemp: if you don’t like your blender will be able to blend the hemp hearts effectively, sub in a spoonful of nut butter instead.
I usually make this with an immersion blender and it works very well. Any standing blender should be fine, even a low-power type.
As this is a winter smoothie, we always serve it at room temperature. You can refrigerate it before serving if preferred, or use all cold ingredients, if you’d like it to be cold.
How to Store
This can be kept in the refrigerator for a few hours, covered.
More Refreshing Drinks
If you make this Orange Smoothie or any other drink recipes on Occasionally Eggs, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s such a help to others who want to try the recipe. For more OE, follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest, purchase the Occasionally Eggs cookbook, or subscribe for new posts via email.
Creamy Orange Coconut Smoothie
- 1 large seedless orange peeled
- 180 ml coconut milk*
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1-2 soft dates seeded
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch vanilla powder
- Add the orange, coconut milk, hemp, dates(s), cinnamon, and vanilla to a blender. Mix on high speed until smooth, and serve at room temperature.1 large seedless orange, 180 ml coconut milk*, 2 tablespoons hemp hearts, 1-2 soft dates, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 pinch vanilla powder
* For American cup measurements, please click the pink link text above the ingredient list that says ‘American’.
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate. If this information is important to you, please have it verified independently.