This vegan lemon rhubarb cake is perfect for spring – light, full of fruit, sweet and slightly tart. Made with whole grain spelt flour, coconut oil, and maple syrup, it’s a slightly healthier cake.
Suddenly, our kitchen is overrun with ants. We’ve been freeing/squishing ants for the past week or so, but I just went in there and the floor is covered. Help. What did we do to get ants? I’ve tried peppermint oil in all the places they can get in (so the kitchen smells awesome) but apparently that doesn’t work for shit. I think I might need a piece of cake to recover.
I made this cake the first time a few days ago for tea. My grandmother and aunt were here visiting from Germany, and it was my aunt’s wedding anniversary, so she wanted a cake. Aaaand, rhubarb is in season here now! It’s always the first produce we get here and I eat it in everything when it starts growing. After six months with no local fresh fruits or veggies, it’s the best. Prepare for lotsa seasonal healthy rhubarb recipes, guys. And by seasonal I mean about a month later than everyone else.
This recipe is a pretty basic vegan lemon cake, and just includes the addition of rhubarb on the top, so definitely substitute whatever kind of fruit you have or like. Strawberries, peaches, cherries (any berries, right?!), and apples would all be great. Don’t use watermelon, gross. You can also just make the cake and tell the fruit to screw off if you hate fruit.
You might get a little low area in the middle from the weight of the fruit, like I did, but it’s cool. If you don’t put anything on top, it’ll be so nice and puffy. The cake calls for all whole grain spelt, but other flours work well too, as do combinations.
Let’s connect! If you liked this recipe, make sure to leave a comment below, I love hearing from you! Tag me on instagram @occasionallyeggs and #occasionallyeggs so I can see what you’re making, and stay in touch via facebook, pinterest, and bloglovin.
- 2 1/2 cups whole spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk
- 3/4 cup maple syrup, or honey*
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Zest of two lemons
- 3-4 stalks rhubarb
- Heat the oven to 350F/180C and grease a cake tin.*
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add this to the flour mixture and whisk to fully combine. Pour into the prepared cake tin and top with pieces of rhubarb.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
1. I know a 3/4 cup of maple syrup seems like a lot, but it's a friggin cake. Embrace it.
2. I used a tall 6-inch tin, but you can also use two smaller ones, or a bundt pan, or whatever. Just check it at around 45-50 minutes to see if it's done or not.
Also, sorry for not posting last week! I was on holiday in the mountains with family.