No coconut milk, no sugar, no oil! With a fruit base instead of cream, these 5 ingredient avocado fudgesicles are surprisingly fudgy and delicious but not too sweet.
I did test a coconut milk version but it was always a bit gritty after freezing – something about mixing with the chocolate – and also really like the idea of sneaking avocado into a popsicle. The idea was something very similar to this coconut milk chocolate ice cream, but it just didn’t work in popsicle form.
These might fly with kids, especially if your kids just go for anything chocolate (like chocolate beet muffins, which have a very sneaky vegetable and always work). We really like them and they are a great way to use avocados that are almost over-ripe.
- Avocados: make sure they’re fully ripe, or the fudgesicles will taste a bit green.
- Banana: ripe, but not black. Usually I say the riper the better for extra sweetness, but too far and the pops will taste too much of banana (this is fine if you don’t mind).
- Cacao: or regular cocoa powder, whatever you have on hand. Raw cacao is more bitter.
- Maple Syrup: or honey if preferred. There is a recommended amount but sweeten to taste.
- Vanilla: powder, extract, or paste.
Step by Step
Notes and Substitutions
If you don’t want any hint of banana, simply leave it out or add another half avocado (or a splash of oat milk). It is very slightly noticeable here, more so when very ripe.
A blender can be used instead of a food processor, or even an immersion blender. Just scrape down the sides of the container as needed – the texture is quite thick and pudding-like. Hypothetically you could also mash by hand, but it’d take a while.
If you don’t have popsicle moulds, you can freeze the mousse in a small loaf pan with sticks and then slice to serve, or in reusable muffin liners, or even small paper cups. Small spoons make a good substitution for wooden sticks.
Don’t mix up cocoa or cacao with drinking cocoa (check the ingredients, it shouldn’t have milk or sugar added).
More Frozen Treats
Let’s connect! For more OE, follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest, purchase the Occasionally Eggs cookbook, or subscribe for new posts via email. If you make this recipe, I’d love to see! Tag your instagram versions with @occasionallyeggs.
Chocolate Avocado Fudgesicles
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 ripe banana
- 50 grams cacao or cocoa powder
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder OR 2 teaspoons extract
- Peel and de-stone the avocados and banana. Add to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment.
- Blend on high speed until very smooth and no visible lumps remain.
- Add the cocoa powder, maple syrup, and vanilla. Blend again until fully incorporated.
- Sweeten to taste now, adding more maple syrup if you prefer.
- Spoon the mixture into popsicle moulds, tapping the bases against your hand to fill evenly.
- Add wooden sticks to the pops and freeze until solid, at least a couple of hours.
- To remove, dip the moulds into a glass of warm water and the fudgesicles should pop right out. Drizzle with chocolate if desired and serve.