I had this idea for orange crepes but thought some vegan chocolate crepes are a little nicer to have year round – I can definitely see myself making these in the spring and summer filled with berries and cream, or as a crepe cake. This is adapted from my vegan crepes recipe but simplified down to five main ingredients (plus vanilla + salt), with the arrowroot starch left out.
They end up a touch thicker than normal crepes, more like a cross between German pancakes and crepes, but that means they’re easier to flip and you likely have the ingredients already.
If you’re not sure you can make crepes try this to start as they’re very forgiving and the small size makes things easier; the only trick is to watch for cooking because they don’t show really browning due to the cocoa. They’re soft and pliable even without eggs or a starch to hold things together.
If you make these Chocolate Crepes or any other vegetarian breakfast recipes on Occasionally Eggs, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s such a help to others who want to try the recipe. For more OE, follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest, purchase the Occasionally Eggs cookbook, or subscribe for new posts via email.
Vegan Dark Chocolate Crepes
- 130 grams light spelt flour
- 20 grams cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 375 ml non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons oil*
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, vanilla, and salt.130 grams light spelt flour, 20 grams cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder, 1 pinch sea salt
- Add the milk and oil to the bowl and whisk until just combined. Set aside to rest for a few minutes while the pan heats.375 ml non-dairy milk, 2 tablespoons oil*
- Heat a flat-bottomed pan over medium heat with a little coconut oil.
- Add about 3 tablespoons of batter (I use a gravy ladle) to the pan and turn the pan to spread the batter. Cook for about 30 seconds, until the crepe looks like it's drying, then flip and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Continue until all the batter has been used, then serve hot with your desired toppings.
* For American cup measurements, please click the pink link text above the ingredient list that says ‘American’.
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate. If this information is important to you, please have it verified independently.