A healthy & vegan potato salad made with roasted potatoes, rosemary, spinach, and chewy lentils. Comfort food in a bowl for cold weather and dark days.
The most popular recipe on the blog is for a vegan roasted new potato salad with lentils. I remember having this beautiful light that day but taking hours to edit the photos until I liked them, and thinking it was too simple to share, but it was one of my favourite things to make that summer. I still make it now whenever I can get fresh dill. It went crazy on pinterest and was my first big recipe – I still see it pop up and people keep making it a couple years later (it makes my day every time).
This is an adaptation of that salad, using some late winter ingredients like rosemary and regular potatoes instead. It’s total comfort food, like rosemary roasted potatoes made into a meal with lentils and spinach mixed in with the warm potatoes. It’s topped off with a balsamic dressing and it’s a far cry from the mayo-laden potato salads of my childhood.
In that original recipe I set out ten goals to accomplish before I’m 30. Some of those have changed as I’ve shifted in my goals over the past couple of years or because of my situation changing – I can’t really do pottery anymore, for example, so I learned how to work with metal and make jewelry instead. Making recipe videos went out the window, hah. Maybe if I can convince Graham to learn how to use my camera at some point!
I just mention this because I don’t feel bad about not pursuing some of those goals; it’s okay to change paths and little accomplishments are just as important as the big ones. I’m still happy that I didn’t stick with grad school and pursued this path instead, despite some of the challenges that have come up.
So a different vegan potato salad, a year and a half later. Still good.
Let’s connect! If you liked this recipe, make sure to leave a comment below, I love hearing from you! Tag me on instagram @occasionallyeggs and #occasionallyeggs so I can see what you’re making, and stay in touch via facebook, pinterest, and bloglovin.
Rosemary Roasted Potato Salad
A healthy & vegan winter potato salad made with roasted potatoes, rosemary, spinach, and chewy lentils. Comfort food in a bowl for cold weather and dark days.
- 1 kilogram potatoes cut into 4cm pieces
- 2 sprigs rosemary finely minced (~2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 300 grams / 2 cups cooked lentils*
- 60 grams / 2 cups baby spinach or other greens
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F. Place the potatoes onto a large baking sheet and use your hands to mix in the rosemary, oil, and salt. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and place them into a large bowl. Add the lentils and spinach, top with the vinaigrette, and mix until fully combined. The spinach will wilt from the warm potatoes. Serve immediately.
- Place all of the ingredients into a jar or container and shake until fully combined.
• Leftovers don't keep as well with larger potatoes cut into pieces, but it will if you use new potatoes. I find the smaller pieces tend to dry out a bit if you eat it the next day.
• Some people who made the other recipe found it either to have too much or not enough mustard. Of course you can alter the amount to your tastes, depending on how much you like mustard.
* I used regular brown lentils but French or puy lentils would be a great choice.