When strawberries are at their peak in early summer, they should be used in everything – not just desserts. This strawberry vinaigrette makes good use of the sweet berries, for a sweet-tart salad dressing.
With plenty of berries, balsamic vinegar, and a hint of Dijon mustard, it’s a great everyday vinaigrette that adds a little extra to any salad. It stores well in the refrigerator so you can make a larger batch and have it on hand all week.
- Strawberries: fresh, though I think thawed berries might work too.
- Olive Oil: extra virgin, always.
- Balsamic Vinegar: just a couple of tablespoons are needed here, so you won’t get a big hit of acidity.
- Dijon Mustard: mustard adds complexity and a hint of spice.
- Sea Salt: to taste.
- Black Pepper: if you are very sensitive to any spice, you can omit the pepper or reduce the amount, as the mustard adds a bit here.
Notes and Substitutions
Another mustard can be used, as long as it’s not yellow hotdog mustard. Grainy, spicy, whatever you like best.
An immersion blender works very well here, as would a bullet or mini food processor. Full-size blenders will be less effective as it’s not going to fill up the container well enough.
This isn’t a good time to use under- or over-ripe strawberries – you will taste them in the vinaigrette. If you have an excess of berries and they’re a bit iffy, roast them instead.
If you don’t have balsamic vinegar, red wine or even apple cider vinegar could be subbed, but reduce the amount by half.
More Strawberry Recipes
Let’s connect! For more OE, follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest, purchase the Occasionally Eggs cookbook, or subscribe for new posts via email. If you make this recipe, I’d love to see! Tag your instagram versions with @occasionallyeggs.
Summer Strawberry Vinaigrette
- 150 grams strawberries
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper to taste
- Add the strawberries, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper to a mixing container (or bullet blender/mini food processor).150 grams strawberries, 60 ml extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard, ½ teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Use an immersion blender to mix until very smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator up to five days.