When strawberries are at their peak in early summer, they should be used in everything – not just desserts. This strawberry vinaigrette makes good use of the sweet berries, for a sweet-tart salad dressing.
With plenty of berries, balsamic vinegar, and a hint of Dijon mustard, it’s a great everyday vinaigrette that adds a little extra to any salad. It stores well in the refrigerator so you can make a larger batch and have it on hand all week.
Serve this vinaigrette with a strawberry salad (the sister recipe), a seasonal asparagus quinoa salad, or any simple green salad you’d like to make a bit more interesting.
- Strawberries: fresh, though I think thawed berries might work too. Use the nicest seasonal berries you can find for this recipe.
- Balsamic vinegar: just a couple of tablespoons are needed here, so you won’t get a big hit of acidity. If you don’t have balsamic vinegar, red wine or even apple cider vinegar could be subbed, but reduce the amount by half.
- Dijon mustard: another mustard can be used, as long as it’s not yellow hotdog mustard. Grainy, spicy, whatever you like best.
- Black pepper: if you are very sensitive to any spice, you can omit the pepper or reduce the amount, as the mustard adds a bit here.
Step by Step
Step 1: add all ingredients to a blending container.
Step 2: blend on high speed until very smooth.
An immersion blender works very well here, as would a bullet or mini food processor. Full-size blenders will be less effective as it’s not going to fill up the container well enough.
This isn’t a good time to use under- or over-ripe strawberries – you will taste them in the vinaigrette. If you have an excess of berries and they’re a bit iffy, roast them instead.
More Strawberry Recipes
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
If you make this Strawberry Vinaigrette or any other vegetarian dressing recipes on Occasionally Eggs, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s such a help to others who want to try the recipe. For more OE, follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest, purchase the Occasionally Eggs cookbook, or subscribe for new posts via email.
Summer Strawberry Vinaigrette
- 150 grams strawberries
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper to taste
- Add the strawberries, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper to a mixing container (or bullet blender/mini food processor).150 grams strawberries, 60 ml extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard, ½ teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Use an immersion blender to mix until very smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator up to five days.
* For American cup measurements, please click the pink link text above the ingredient list that says ‘American’.
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate. If this information is important to you, please have it verified independently.
If you’re looking for approachable, seasonal vegetarian recipes, you’re in the right place! Occasionally Eggs is all about healthier plant based recipes that follow the seasons.
Find vegetarian staples, refined sugar free desserts, and hundreds of vegan recipes. All OE recipes are vegetarian, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
Leave a Reply