Creamy vegan hummus pasta with loads of green vegetables – this is a great healthy weeknight meal, and can easily be made gluten free.
I have a really easy, flexible vegan pasta dish for you today! This vegan creamy hummus pasta with greens is the simplest, most satisfying pasta ever. All you have to do is cook up some noodles, roast some veggies, and then toss everything with hummus and a touch of the pasta water.
That’s it! If you’re really pressed for time, you don’t even need to roast veggies – sometimes I just do peas and greens and call it a day, if I’m stretched a bit thin. It’s a real no effort, minimal ingredient meal.
Broccoli and zucchini have been available ‘locally’ from the Netherlands lately. We live less than 80km from the Dutch border so it’s more nearby than German produce from Bavaria, no matter where it’s coming from in Holland. In any case, that’s why I chose those vegetables along with kohlrabi greens here.
You could also use baby spinach, swiss chard, peas, asparagus, and so on, whatever floats your boat. This is totally a year-round recipe though and I hope it makes its way into your rotation as quickly as it has in mine. I almost always have homemade hummus in the fridge but store-bought will work just as well.
I’m currently doing some photography work for a vegan/grain-free legume pasta company here in Germany and this came about for a photo for them, and I loved it so much that I decided to share. The pasta shown in the photo is a gluten-free green pea type, which I really like, but you can use any that you like. I have made this with spelt and kamut noodles as well and really like it. All this pasta photography is inspiring plenty of new recipes, so I hope you like pasta!
So I told you guys that we booked our tickets to go back to Canada for the summer, and now we’ve also booked some cheap flights to head to Sweden in June! It’s Graham’s 30th birthday at the end of June so we’ll be there then, and I’m so excited to go again. I was in Stockholm last year with a friend for a few days, but this time we’ll be visiting Graham’s family further south.
We tried to go last summer and missed our flights because of train delays, hah. Not funny at the time but we learned and booked tickets from the nearest airport this time instead of relying on the German train system. I can’t wait and then we’ll be back for a week before jetting off to Canada! This makes my life seem much more glamorous than it actually is but I’m just so excited.
On to the pasta!
Creamy Vegan Hummus and Greens Pasta
Creamy vegan hummus pasta with loads of green vegetables - this is a great healthy weeknight meal, and can easily be made gluten free.
- 1 head broccoli small florets
- 2 small zucchini 3cm pieces
- 1 teaspoon oil sunflower, olive
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 60 grams / 2 cups fresh greens*
- 1 package 200 grams dried pasta**
- 60 ml / 1/4 cup pasta water
- 250 grams / 1 cup hummus
- 80 grams / 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- Zest of a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F. Add the broccoli, zucchini, oil, salt, and pepper to a baking sheet. Toss to coat, then cook for 15-20 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the water before draining, then mix the cooked pasta with the reserved water and hummus. Stir in the roasted vegetables, greens, and chickpeas, then top with the lemon zest. Serve hot.
• If you want to add peas, cook them for a few minutes along with the pasta.
* I used kohlrabi greens (no wasting food!) but spinach, rucola, chard, etc. will all be good here.
** I used green pea tagliatelle but short pasta would also work.