I’m sharing a fantastic new cookbook recipe today! This is a vegan muesli recipe with apple, ginger, and lots of high-protein nuts and seeds. I’ve been eating müsli since I was a kid – we always begged my omi to make it when she was around and it’s a lifelong favourite.
I pretty much stopped eating it when I cut out dairy, so this vegan version from brand-new Power Plates was calling my name! Coconut yogurt is pretty thick and rich for muesli but I tried it with an almond yogurt I usually don’t like that much for this recipe and it was great.
Even though it’s winter and I usually want a warm breakfast like potato pancakes or porridge, knowing I had this in the fridge made me excited to get out of bed. I had it as a midday snack too. Graham brings overnight oats to work every day and he loved having this apple muesli instead of his usual, so it’s going into our regular rotation now.
The shredded apple and ginger really brighten things up and make the muesli a little sweet and spicy, and there are hemp hearts and almonds mixed in for some nice texture along with the oats. It takes about two minutes to mix up and you could do a double batch and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days. It’s filling but not heavy, perfect for breakfast!
This is Gena’s newest book, and I trust her recipes completely. Gena’s a nutritionist and you can really tell in this latest book; every recipe is completely nutritionally balanced, so you get all the proteins/fats/vitamins etc. that you need from just one dish instead of having sides or extras.
If you make this Apple Muesli or any other breakfast recipes on Occasionally Eggs, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s such a help to others who want to try the recipe. For more OE, follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest, purchase the Occasionally Eggs cookbook, or subscribe for new posts via email.
Reprinted with permission from Power Plates, copyright © 2018 by Gena Hamshaw. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
Apple Ginger Muesli from Power Plates
- 90 grams rolled oats
- 40 grams finely chopped pitted dates or whole raisins or currants
- 2 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 ½ teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 small apple grated
- 340 grams nondairy yogurt
- Unsweetened nondairy milk if desired
- Maple syrup optional
- In a medium glass bowl or container with a lid, combine the oats, dates, hemp seeds, almonds, ginger, cinnamon, and apple. Stir in the yogurt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.90 grams rolled oats, 40 grams finely chopped pitted dates or whole raisins or currants, 2 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds, 2 tablespoons sliced or slivered almonds, 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 small apple, 340 grams nondairy yogurt
- The next morning, the muesli will be very thick and creamy. If it’s thicker than you’d like, stir in nondairy milk as needed to achieve the desired consistency. Serve drizzled with maple syrup.Unsweetened nondairy milk if desired, Maple syrup
• I topped mine with some raw apple, frozen raspberries, and more of everything else that’s mixed into the muesli, but it’s great without anything added as a topping too.
* For American cup measurements, please click the pink link text above the ingredient list that says ‘American’.
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate. If this information is important to you, please have it verified independently.