Vegan hummus lunch wraps with hummus, roasted carrots, and greens – these are great to take as a packed lunch or as a speedy, low effort dinner. Mix up the fillings but make sure to overfill those tortillas!
A quick lunch recipe for you today – a five-ingredient vegan wrap with roasted carrots, hummus, greens, and apples. This can be easily adapted so it’s more of an inspiration than a true recipe, because you can do so many variations with the same idea in mind. The staple is hummus and some sort of roasted root veggie; my original plan was to use sweet potato but it’s so expensive right now that carrot was a better option.
Graham recommends avocado but most of them are a bit shit, and at such an exorbitant price. If you can get good avocados then definitely add them. Essentially you need some different textures and a mix of sweet and savoury, which you certainly have here.
I used my lentil hummus (with carrot instead of sweet potato) and spelt tortillas, but regular hummus and store-bought wraps are good too, especially if you need them to be gluten free. It’s a simple, quick, and nutritious travel friendly lunch or fun dinner. I can totally see kids having a blast building their own wraps for dinner if you have the fillings in little dishes on the table.
Of course in the summer you’ll have different ingredients but this is winter friendly – try also adding sprouts, some shredded red cabbage, or other roasted vegetables. If you don’t want to roast the carrots you can shred them instead and add them raw, which is a bit of a time saver too. If you’re a batch cooker and have roasted veggies already in the fridge, this is even easier.
I got Graham to model for me and after a bit of shouting (me) and giggles (him) we got some pretty good shots. I think he’s more willing to do it if he’s really looking forward to eating whatever I’ve made and he sure liked these wraps. Look at that loving gaze.
Let’s connect! If you liked this recipe, make sure to leave a comment below, I love hearing from you! Tag me on instagram @occasionallyeggs and #occasionallyeggs so I can see what you’re making, and stay in touch via facebook, pinterest, and bloglovin.
Hummus and Veggie Wraps
Vegan hummus lunch wraps with hummus, roasted carrots, and greens - these are great to take as a packed lunch or as a speedy, low effort dinner. Mix up the fillings but make sure to overfill those tortillas!
- 200 grams / 6 medium carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon oil olive, avocado, sunflower
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the wraps:
- Whole grain tortillas
- Lentil hummus or chickpea hummus
- Greens lettuce, rucola, baby spinach
- Thinly sliced apple
- Cooked chickpeas optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F. Cut the carrots in half lengthwise, place them onto a baking sheet, and mix with the oil and spices. Roast for 20-25 minutes, or until browned and tender.
Assemble the wraps by filling them as much as possible and eat. Some other good additions to try are avocado, sprouts, falafel, herbs, and whatever else you like.
• If you're packing this for lunch, place the greens down on the wrap before adding the hummus and other veggies to prevent sogginess. This is particularly good if you use large leaf lettuce to have a good barrier between the tortilla and everything else.
• I used this tortilla recipe, this lentil hummus, and this chickpea hummus.
* When you roast the carrots, make sure the cut side is facing up. They tend to burn when the cut side is touching the baking sheet.