An easy vegan and GF one-bowl almond butter granola, this is a pretty basic recipe that goes with just about everything. With almond butter and chopped almonds, it’s pleasantly nutty, but not overwhelmingly.
I often forget how much we love having granola in the house – it’s a lifesaver on busy days. A great breakfast, snack, or before-bed-treat, and I find this almond version especially filling. If you love it too but aren’t so fond of really sweet store bought granola, give this recipe a try.
- Rolled Oats: quick cook oats don’t work as well here. Make sure the oats are certified GF if for celiac.
- Almonds: chopped, slivered, or sliced.
- Arrowroot Flour: this is the main binding agent.
- Chia: for clumping and a better texture.
- Salt: the amount listed is based on unsalted almond butter. If yours contains salt, reduce by half.
- Maple Syrup: or honey, if it doesn’t need to be fully vegan.
- Coconut Oil: there is no sub for this recipe – coconut oil solidifying at room temp is what helps the granola clump properly.
- Almond Butter: the runnier, the better! Don’t use the last dry bit in the bottom of the jar.
- Vanilla: not adding extra spices really allows for the almond flavour to come through, but you could use cinnamon, nutmeg, or a spice blend that you like.
Notes and Substitutions
There are very few substitutions possible for this recipe, apart from those outlined in the ingredient list above. Honey for maple syrup, as always, and you can add to the granola as you like. Dried fruit and chocolate chips can be added after baking.
It’s important to cool the granola fully on the baking sheet before moving into a storage container. If you don’t care for clumps, then don’t worry about this – but it does help in keeping larger pieces to cool before lifting.
If your oven bakes very evenly, you probably won’t need to turn the pan halfway through baking. Otherwise a quick turn will help a lot for a nicely browned granola.
Let’s connect! For more OE, follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest, purchase the Occasionally Eggs cookbook, or subscribe for new posts via email. If you make this recipe, I’d love to see! Tag your instagram versions with @occasionallyeggs.
Almond Butter Granola
- 250 grams rolled oats
- 100 grams chopped or slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 80 grams maple syrup
- 60 grams almond butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil softened or melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the oats, almonds, chia, arrowroot powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the maple syrup, almond butter, coconut oil, and vanilla to the bowl. Mix very well using a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Spread evenly onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring or turning the sheet at the halfway mark if your oven bakes unevenly.
- Cool fully before removing from the sheet and transferring to a jar or container. The granola will keep for a couple of weeks in a sealed container at room temperature.
This post was first shared in December 2014. It has been updated with improvements to the recipe as of July 2021.