With cherry tomatoes, sweet corn, cucumber, and sprouts, this is a beautiful seasonal summer lentil salad. It ticks all the hot weather boxes. Fresh, light, crunchy, filling – and minimal cooking time!
Green lentils take about 15 minutes to cook, and corn on the cob takes maximum 20 minutes depending on how you cook it, but you can always use frozen instead. If you do use fresh sweet corn, try to eat it as soon as possible after buying it. It’ll get less sweet the longer you store it.
For some more vegetable-packed lentil salad recipes, try my summer strawberry salad, roasted carrot salad with tahini and lentils, or roasted beet lentil salad.
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Lentils: green, brown, or black lentils can all be used for this recipe, but not red.
- Sprouts: the types listed in the recipe card are suggestions. Use any kind of sprouts or shoots that you like here.
The fresher the ingredients, the better this salad will be. Like most summer recipes on OE, if you have a garden or pots, this makes good use of typical summer vegetables like cherry tomatoes.
How to Store
Storage: because of the soft vegetables used, this only lasts about a day in the refrigerator. Keep leftovers in a sealed container but eat them quickly.
Freezing: I don’t recommend freezing this recipe.
- Use a peeler: the cucumber is cut with a vegetable peeler, simply taking long strips off. This makes for nice thin strips and is easier than using a knife.
- Rinse the lentils: this cools them down quickly to add to the salad, but it also removes any foam residue that might be present from cooking.
More Great Lentil Recipes
Hearty Lentil Chili
Cabbage Lentil Soup
Lentil and Green Patties
If you make this Vegan Lentil Salad or any other vegetarian summer recipes on Occasionally Eggs, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. It’s such a help to others who want to try the recipe. For more OE, follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest, purchase the Occasionally Eggs cookbook, or subscribe for new posts via email.
Mexican Lentil Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
- 200 grams dry green lentils*
- 150 grams cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 medium cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 cob corn cooked, kernels only
- Small handful sunflower sprouts
- Small handful pea shoots
- Small handful cilantro or parsley finely chopped
Lime Cumin Vinaigrette
- 60 ml olive oil
- 60 ml lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cumin ground
- Place the lentils into a medium pot and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes, or until cooked. Rinse with cold water.200 grams dry green lentils*
- Add the cooked lentils to a large bowl with the tomatoes, cucumber, corn, sprouts, shoots, and cilantro.150 grams cherry tomatoes, 1 medium cucumber, 1 cob corn, Small handful sunflower sprouts, Small handful pea shoots, Small handful cilantro or parsley
- Add the vinaigrette to the salad, toss, and serve. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for a day or so.
- Add all the ingredients to a container and whisk or shake until combined.60 ml olive oil, 60 ml lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup, 1/4 teaspoon cumin
* For American cup measurements, please click the pink link text above the ingredient list that says ‘American’.
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate. If this information is important to you, please have it verified independently.
Leave a Reply