Vegan potato pea curry is total comfort food, and weeknight appropriate even if it is just a big bowl of potatoes. Spicy carbs are the best – serve with dosa for protein and a fun vehicle for the potatoes.
My Fridays are always a bit full – I teach two yoga classes and work at the jewellery atelier, and usually come home in the evening and work on the blog as well. It’s my most social day of the week, because I work from home and don’t see anyone, hah. My cousin is doing her high school practicum at the atelier right now so I taught her how to make a ring today and worked on some pieces to send home as a prize for our friend’s wedding social back home next month. When I come home in the evening, then, I always crave a big plate of potatoes.
It’s not required that you eat this curry with dosa, and I have no idea if potato pea curry is usually eaten with dosa, but I like it that way. It’s pretty much just a big dish of potatoes, so the dosa adds a bit more protein to keep you full longer. This is total comfort food. The first time I made this I sat down with the whole pan and ate it all by myself while I watched Hercules (the cartoon version, of course). Then when I made it most recently to take the pictures, Graham and I polished it off together. Hypothetically I think it could serve up to four, but we are hungry people.
I know the ingredient list looks like a lot of sweet spices, but the end result is very savoury. This is a perfect weekend lazy-food recipe but it’s quick enough to have on a Tuesday, although I’m not sure if a mostly potatoes meal is great weekday fare. Great period food though, anytime! I always tell myself if there are greens involved, it’s healthy, even if it’s just peas. So go ahead and tell yourself that the next time you want a big plate of potatoes for dinner, too. Balance.
Let’s connect! If you liked this recipe, make sure to leave a comment below, I love hearing from you! Tag me on instagram @occasionallyeggs and #occasionallyeggs so I can see what you’re making, and stay in touch via facebook, pinterest, and bloglovin.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 500 grams small potatoes, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Juice of a lemon
- 125 ml / 1/2 cup water
- 200 grams / 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- Heat a large, heavy pan over medium heat. Add the coconut oil and onions, then cook for a couple of minutes, or until the onions are softened.
- Add the potatoes and cook for another five minutes to brown, stirring occasionally to keep them from sticking to the pan. Stir in the ginger and garlic, cook for an additional minute, then add the spices and stir for 30 seconds.
- Pour the lemon juice into the pot, followed by the water, and stir to release any spices from the base of the pan. Cover and reduce the heat to low, then simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the peas, then turn off the heat and place the lid back onto the pan. Let it sit for five minutes to heat the peas, and serve hot with dosa or on its own.
Serving Size:1 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 588mg Carbohydrates: 41g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g