Fluffy vegan lemon cardamom pancakes topped with fresh strawberries and a little dark chocolate. Made with spelt flour and minimal ingredients for a healthier breakfast or brunch option.
Lemon and cardamom are best friends, especially combined in soft, fluffy pancakes. I was looking through my recipe archive a few days ago and there are hardly any sweet or breakfast lemon recipes, even though I go through a pile of lemons every week. Enter these healthy vegan pancakes, with lots of citrus flavour, a little sweet cardamom, and strawberries.
Chocolate optional. (It’s not that different from maple syrup and I think you should go for it.) These are meant to be messy and fun – perfect for little hands to decorate for Mother’s Day coming up!
I try to make pancakes every weekend but usually end up making them more like twice a month. I know some people are religiously into pancake Sundays and I’m sure Graham wishes I was like that, but I’d rather have french toast or sourdough waffles most of the time. These were so good that they changed my mind, at least for now, and lemony cardamom pancakes have been a weekend treat for the past little while.
Leftovers are a nice snack too. I should probably freeze leftover pancakes and toast them or something but I always end up eating them cold, without toppings, within a day or two.
If you’re a fan of American-style pancakes, give these a shot. They’re made with spelt flour, a little maple syrup or honey, and lots of lemon. If you don’t like cardamom you can sub extra vanilla instead for that traditional cake flavour, but it’s not overwhelming in any case. Cover it all in chocolate for the most decadent healthy breakfast you’ve ever had and live your best life, hah. That’s not whipped cream, though, just super creamy coconut yogurt.
Lemon Cardamom Pancakes with Strawberries and Chocolate
Fluffy vegan pancakes flavoured with lemon and cardamom, topped with fresh strawberries and a little dark chocolate. Made with spelt flour.
- 270 grams / 2 1/4 cups spelt flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pod cardamom crushed (~1/4 teaspoon ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 375 ml / 1 1/2 cups nondairy milk oat, almond
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- Zest of two lemons
- Juice of a lemon ~3 tablespoons
- Heat a large, flat-bottomed pan over medium heat with a little coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, maple syrup, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined and no streaks of flour remain.
- Pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter into the hot pan for each pancake and cook until bubbles start to show, then flip and cook for another minute or so. Continue until all of the batter has been used, adding a small amount of coconut oil to the pan each time. Serve hot, topped with coconut yogurt, strawberries, and melted dark chocolate.