Try having some chocolate for breakfast with creamy coconut overnight oats made with raw cacao, coconut yogurt, and shredded coconut for a chocolate bar inspired healthy, plant based breakfast.
We all know chocolate and coconut are best friends, right? Let me present my (your?!) new favourite breakfast, vegan chocolate coconut overnight oats! This is a slightly over the top breakfast, maybe, but you don’t need to add actual squares of dark chocolate to yours if you’re not a drama mama like me. Some dark chocolate can’t be any worse than a cup of coffee in the morning, so I say go for it. There are hemp, sunflower, and chia seeds added here for a protein boost and more texture, plus cacao nibs.
Usually when I want a bit of a special overnight porridge I make something more the apple ginger muesli from Power Plates I shared a little while ago – more fruit centred because I love fruit. This just came from staring at my pantry jars and wondering what I could throw into a muesli because I had just eaten the last apple in the house, and it turned into a really fun, unexpected breakfast. Chocolate for breakfast is always a good idea (like this chocolate orange chia parfait) and adding coconut makes it taste like a chocolate bar. I mean a very oat-y chocolate bar, but still.
This is made with a mix of coconut yogurt and nondairy milk, oat in my case, because coconut yogurt trends to be really thick and rich and needs to be thinned out a bit or it’s hard to get through a full serving of the muesli. If you can’t get or don’t want to use coconut yogurt, use a different vegan yogurt and coconut milk instead to carry that flavour through.
The brand of yogurt I like just came out with a cashew version, and I think the vanilla one would be great here too, and then with coconut milk. Any unsweetened plant yogurt will be fine but coconut is obviously ideal here. No berries for now, but I know I’ll be making this in the summer with strawberries and especially raspberries to tie into that dessert for breakfast theme this recipe has going on.
- 100 grams / 1 cup rolled oats
- 30 grams / 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons chia
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 250 ml / 1 cup nondairy milk
- 125 grams / 1/2 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey, optional
- Mix the oats, coconut, cacao, seeds, and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in the milk, yogurt, and maple syrup until fully mixed, then cover and place in the refrigerator. Let the mixture sit overnight, or for a minimum of four hours. Serve with extra seeds and yogurt, and a square of dark chocolate.