This vegan toasted coconut ice cream is made with a base of creamy coconut milk, toasted coconut flakes, and chunks of dark chocolate. Refined sugar free, and no gums or starches needed.
I know I just posted an ice cream recipe a few days ago, but there are only so many days of summer left! This vegan coconut ice cream uses the same base recipe as my mint chocolate ice cream. Just coconut milk, coconut cream, a little maple syrup, and the add-ins – in this case, toasted coconut flakes and dark chocolate.
It’s inspired by an ice cream I had at Chaeban in Winnipeg, easily the best non-dairy ice cream I’ve ever bought. Usually any store bought ones are just pure sugar and I hate them, so homemade is great for keeping it from being too sweet. The one from Chaeban was pretty much perfect but it had gums added and definitely wasn’t cheap.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can either make it into popsicles or freeze the base recipe in an ice cube tray, blend in a high speed blender, and then mix in the add-ins. If you do have an ice cream maker, there’s no cooking involved here, so you can have dessert ready in just a few minutes! The base is just mixed together and poured right in to the machine, no need for cooking or cooling. My aunt got me a little package of toasted coconut and chocolate from Prairie Naturals Superfoods but it’s just as easy to pop in some coconut and chocolate.
It’s past the middle of August now, and I’m definitely not wishing for autumn but it’s coming up quickly now. Soon all we’ll see is pumpkin everything and cozy foods (not that it’s a bad thing). So go make yourself a batch of vegan coconut ice cream before summer is over!
Let’s connect! If you liked this recipe, make sure to leave a comment below, I love hearing from you! Tag me on instagram @occasionallyeggs and #occasionallyeggs so I can see what you’re making, and stay in touch via facebook, pinterest, and bloglovin.
- 400 ml / 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 200 ml / 1/2 can coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract*
- Tiny pinch salt
- 100 grams / 1 bar dark chocolate, chopped
- 50 grams / 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
- Whisk together the coconut milk, cream, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Pour it into your ice cream maker and churn until frozen, adding the chocolate and coconut when the ice cream is almost finished.
- Serve immediately, or freeze in a sealed container for up to one month. Thaw for about 10 minutes before serving if frozen solid.
* You can substitute 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla powder for the extract.
• One pack of this toasted coconut/dark chocolate mix can be used in place of the chocolate and coconut.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 20gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g
This data is provided by a calculator and is a rough estimation of the nutritional information in this recipe.